My
business idea is to open a grocery store that gives away free groceries to
every 1 in 100 customers that enter the store. The idea is that the increased number
of customers that come into my store because of this deal will offset the cost
of giving away free groceries. In addition, most grocery stores, even successful
ones, have an incredible amount of waste product, therefore this deal will help
eliminate waste without having to increase costs too much. The name of this store is Win Big Grocery Store, but that is subject to change if I think of something better.
In terms
of opportunity, I believe everybody
has the need for my product because everyone needs groceries. However, there
are certain demographic groups that the store will be more popular for. I think
the biggest opportunity is with young parents with multiple children. This
group of people usually buys a lot of groceries to feed the whole family and at
the same time they are looking for ways to save money as much as possible. If a
young parent buys 200 dollars of groceries a week, they will probably want to
shop at the store that gives them the chance of all this food for free. If they
end up winning the deal, then they will enjoy their experience so much that
they will hopefully become a life-long customer. People are always looking to
gamble and win big. A large amount of people constantly buy scratch off lottery
tickets daily even if there is a very small chance at winning anything.
Shopping at my store can be seen as the same thing, however it does not cost
extra money to shop here.
Forces in
the environment that can change the success of my business is the economy. The
higher the economy, the higher the spending capability of customers. This would
cause customers to splurge and buy the more expensive groceries and buy a great
quantity. However, I think it may hurt business in the fact that people are not
looking for deals as much, so they might rather stick to their already trusted grocery
store that they are comfortable with, without putting in effort to find a new
store that can possibly save them money. I believe customers do have a certain
loyalty to the stores they shop at now. Especially Publix has a large following
that are in love with shopping there. However, I think if a store opens up that
has the same food quality and gives you the chance to win free groceries,
people would be willing to change stores. We want to have a similar culture to
Publix where the customer service is extraordinary.
For innovation, I think this is a brand-new
idea that will be very popular. I also think that if it is successful, other
stores will probably not copy the idea. This is because my store will only have
a few locations at most. Large grocery chains won’t change their national
policies just because of a few competitive stores. The way it would work is a
computer generator will track every 1 in 100 customers that checks out. This
will be random and not in order, to ensure that people are not waiting at the
checkout area counting to 100. In other words, the first and second customers
of the day may win free groceries and then the next person who wins could be
the 200th customer. It is not an exact order, but the computer
generator will ensure that 1 in 100 people at the end of the day have been given
their order for free. Customers will find out that they won at the check out
and when they are about to pay, “Free Groceries” will pop up on the screen and
they will be given their order for free. There will be a rule in place that you
are not allowed to return any items after you find out if you win or not. This
way, people who do not win can’t return all their food.
Venture Concept: The innovation described above addresses
the opportunity of giving people an exciting way to save money on groceries. It
is a struggle for large families to be able to afford all the food they want to
buy. This is why they will choose to shop at my store, if the food is of good
quality. It may be difficult at first to get customers to switch from their
normal grocery store. There needs to be a good marketing strategy in place to
make sure people know that they can shop here and win free food. However, once
people start trying my store, and winning free food, I believe it will be easy
to make people switch from their previous grocery store of choice. The key is
to have great food quality with competitive prices. If I can do that, on top of
market my competitive advantage well, there will be no reason for customers to
shop anywhere else.
My main
competitors are Publix, Walmart, Wholefoods, and Trader Joes. Each has their
own weakness whether it be price, customer service, or food quality. I am sure
my store will have its weakness too, however we may not find what it is until
business has started. The customer experience is very important while defining
my business concept. What makes my grocery store different than others is the experience
customers have of shopping and the excitement of finding out if you win free groceries.
Organization of employees will be very similar to other grocery stores. There
is no need to change the typical model. I would like to add another unique part
of my store. For example, Publix has Pub Subs that draw customers in. Maybe my
grocery store will have a great hot bar for people to get meals. This can be
discussed with my team when I hire some employees.
Hi Eric!
ReplyDeleteI think that you did a great job addressing all of the needed components of this post. You really answered all of the questions that I have had about your business idea. The store seems like a great idea and I am still all for it! I agree with you at the end of your post that location will be important and I think its great that you thought about that. I also really like how you integrate a lot of different elements of your business in this post.
Hi Eric, great work on your venture concept. You laid out your business idea perfectly and gave a very descriptive analysis of each segment of your venture. You were able to use many different arms from your venture to create an extremely detailed post. Good job!
ReplyDeleteHey Eric, I think you did an amazing job going into real detail about your idea to open up a grocery store where every 100th customer gets free groceries. You addressed all the needed components and it is clear to see how truly passionate you are about the idea and I hope you are able to see it through. Great job!
ReplyDelete