1. The main theme of this book is that people do not challenge themselves enough. People like to stick to what their good at with the fear of failure or humiliation if they try something new and do not succeed.
2. This book relates to the activities in ENT3003 because in this class we learned that anybody can be successful if they have the right mindset. People who only rely on their natural intelligence rarely succeed. To be a successful entrepreneur you have to have the desire to challenge yourself and not shy away from difficulties or unclear outcomes. This book and this course both resonate that message.
3. If I had to design an exercise for this class based on this book, one week I would offer 2 choices. One choice would be to do 3 normal class assignments for the typical 2 points each, or I would offer a more challenging, more time consuming assignment that would be worth 10 points. This assignment would be graded more strictly than the average exercise, but they would only have to do one assignment. According to the book, the people with a fixed mindset will choose to do the normal assignments. They are in the later stages of the class and feel very comfortable with the amount of effort they put in and their work is not strictly critiqued. In theory, few people would choose to do the assignment that is graded more harshly because people are less comfortable and afraid they may make a mistake and it be counted against them. However, if the students choose this path they will probably have a much better product and learn a lot more.
4. The thing I learned that differed from my expectations is that your brain biologically changes and re-wires itself when you learn new things. This just shows that it is not about the intelligence and knowledge you are born with. If you work hard at something and put in enough work at improving, and do not let the fear of failure stop you, you are going to be more successful and innovative with your work.
Hi Eric!
ReplyDeleteI love that this analysis shows that you read and enjoyed the book. I find it very interesting that the book discusses how people do not challenge themselves enough. Since the title of the book discusses success, I think that this book greatly relates to the book I read by Scott Adams. Both books talk about how we cannot be afraid of our failures, but rather embrace them and let them make us better. I love the idea that you made for an exercise for students. I think this would really get students to think about the critiques, and even grades, that they could possibly get if this class were set up differently. I think it would be beneficial to tell the students (after the assignment's due date) your motive behind the assignment and the meaning of their choice. Overall, amazing exercise idea and great analysis!
Hey Eric! Great book choice, it seems like you really got a lot out of the book! I have heard about the theory that your brain can rewire itself when learning new things and form better connections and pathways that can help you and your goals! I'm definitely going to read about that more myself! Great analysis and good job!
ReplyDeleteHey Eric! I also chose the same book and found it, though repetitive, very insightful. I am glad that you were able to read Carol Dweck's book and grow from the experience by focusing what kind of mental state you have and how that can affect your life goals. Like you, I was also glad to read that our brains have the capability to rewire themselves for hopefully the better. One can accomplish anything with the right mindset. Great analysis!
ReplyDelete