Friday, March 13, 2020

15A- Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 2

The segment I chose is college students. I think my grocery store would fit well with college kids because students are always looking for the best deals around town. When I asked the three people I interviewed what mattered most to them when choosing a grocery store, two of them said price and one said location. The person who said location does not have a car so this is understandable. With popularity of online grocery ordering on the rise, I asked if they prefer to order groceries online or shop at the store. They all said that they prefer to shop at the store. This is not surprising because online ordering is not common for college aged kids. However, if online ordering continues to rise in popularity, that may become a threat to my grocery store, since my competitive advantage of giving 1 in every 100 customers groceries for free requires you to be an in-store shopper. When asked about the post-purchase evaluation, all three people said they do not really regret anything they buy at the grocery store since groceries are low-risk purchases. Two of them did mention that they regret when they spend too much at the store and their food goes bad because they waited too long to eat it.

After these interviews I would describe this segment as very price-focused. Quality of food does matter, but the most important thing on their minds when they go shopping is "where can I find the least expensive items." This is a good segment for my company because my proposed grocery store will give students the chance to earn free groceries. In addition, after conducting the interviews I know that I have to keep my prices level with my competition. If my items are even slightly more expensive, there is little chance that the grocery store will be a popular place to shop.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Eric!
    I found it interesting how you correlated grocery store to college students. By interviewing your target market you are able to generate more key insights and further strengthen your product. It can be difficult to alter your original plans when you perceive you idea as perfect having an idea. However in the end the modification will allow us to see greater vision for the end goal. Great job on analyzing your interviews to narrow down on segment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eric, as a college student I agree that going over my budget when buying groceries is a bummer, but I find that i never really regret it since I will eventually eat the food I bought regardless. I don't necessarily think that transitioning your idea to an online platform to start is necessarily a bad idea. If it was online, it would be easy to count who is the 100th customer and see how many loyal customers you really have. Plus monitoring it for people trying to manipulate your generosity may be easier as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Eric! I really like your grocery store idea, great job! I think the insights you gathered are super helpful to figure out your target market and how to get people in the door. I absolutely hate wasting money on food that goes uneaten and turns bad and any idea that helps minimize that is a great one. Again, great idea!

    ReplyDelete