Friday, February 21, 2020
12A- Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1
The segment I chose was college students. I interviewed two seniors and one junior in college who have grocery shopped in Gainesville for a long time. They identified a need for a new grocery store. They say Publix is great but it is too expensive and if they try to save money at Walmart the quality is not good. The Junior I interviewed said that they would like a grocery store with a bigger parking lot that is close by to campus because, especially at dinner time, the Publix parking lot is very crowded. The seniors seemed apathetic about changing the Gainesville grocery scene since they are graduating in a few months. One senior loved the idea and said that they would shop at that store all the time and that it is a great marketing strategy to give away free groceries to 1 out of 100 customers. The other senior was not convinced that it would work and said that he probably would continue just shopping at the grocery stores he shops at now. However, he did mention that he does need a way to start saving money on food. To fix their need now, when they need to save money they just do not eat as good as they normally do. They eat ramen noodles or pasta instead of having a balanced, healthy meal. They also said that they search for any food deals going on by using certain apps or asking their friends if they have any ideas where they can buy food for cheap. I think these interviews show that college students are constantly looking to save money. This should motivate them to want to shop at my store because there is a chance that all the food they buy will be given to them for free. I also think a college town will be good for this store because college students are usually just buying for themselves and not whole families. Therefore, the amount of free food we give away will most likely be less. Overall, I think this is a good segment to target and I will continue to gain feedback so that I can make this grocery store successful in a college town.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Eric! I think that it was very smart to choose college students as your segment. I love your idea of the grocery store, so I think it is important to get opinions and information from people like me as well as what you already have. Although adults would visit this store too, so many young adults and college students are willing to take chances in everyday life. I agree with the senior that said to raise the number to 100. I commented on an earlier post that I think 50 would be giving away too many groceries (and money) and I still stand by that. I like how the interviewees said that they search for food deals. Do you think you would have a lot of food deals as well or do you think you would just be giving away the groceries to get people through the door? Overall, another great post.
ReplyDeleteHey Eric! College students was definitely a smart segment to pick. As college students ourselves, its an easy group to analyze. You gave excellent, indepth analysis of your interviews, along with explaining what you learned from each one.
ReplyDeleteHey Eric, I think your interviews were great and gave you the best feedback you could have received as they were all in different parts of their college career. I think it was interesting that the seniors were apathetic to the idea because it it does end up thriving it could be implemented in different areas not just Gainesville. I do think we need bigger parking lots though but it maybe difficult to be closer to campus.
ReplyDeleteHey Eric, I totally agree with what your interviewees stated about the problems with publix and Walmart and think that was really great insight. Im glad you took it to heart and applied it to your idea. I am a sucker for pasta and noodles and basically eat that daily. If this store were to exist I would love to benefit from it.
ReplyDelete